Sunday 26 April 2015

But what's REALLY going on in your mind...

We've all had those days...we get on the treadmill, the bike or even go for a run outside and we're just...BORED. We're not even tired, or out of breath...it's the boredom that makes it hard to finish our workout. Often when I run I think about school, my friends, what I want to do when I get a vacation...or better yet a job. But somedays I don't want to think about any of it all. I wish I had a fun distraction that would make my workout an escape from the frequent thoughts that already haunt my day. That's why working out with a friend is ideal, but sometimes schedules prevent the sweaty company of others becoming a reality. 

I've tried running while reading on the treadmill - I almost rolled my ankle and fell of the end of treadmill with my limbs in the air. I've also tried watching TV shows while running but then the SAME commercials come on...and honestly - I HATE COMMERCIALS. LEAVE ME ALONE. Music is a great distraction and a motivator, but if your'e like me and update your playlist once since 1999 it's pretty repetitive. It can be difficult to find that perfect distraction. Sometimes if you're lucky you can find very interesting people to watch in dismay or horror (sometimes both), but again this is LUCK. PURE LUCK. SO WHAT IS LEFT YOU ASK? Here are a few games and distractions I think help:

1) Multiplication tables - do you remember those? One day when your PHONE BATTERY DIES you can thank me for encouraging you to practice your multiplication tables.
2) Freestyle rapping. We all have a little Biggie Smalls/Eminem/Snoop Dog/Miss Elliot in us. That's right - rap it out - and if you're feeling good then RAP IT OUT LOUD. You may have a career you never knew about.
3) Think of NOTHING...and then when you realize you have actually starting thinking of thinking of nothing...START OVER...Honestly - try thinking of nothing for 10 seconds - bet you can't...
4) FOR THOSE INTENSE WORKOUTS - try and count the drips of sweat as they fly off of you...you can even track your progress on an excel sheet. 

Do you have any tips on keeping yourself on those hard days of workouts? Please share. 
Have a VERY SWEATY WEEK EVERYONE!!

a

No comments:

Post a Comment